Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP) is located twelve (12) miles from downtown Minneapolis.
Ground Transportation from MSP
Taxi service at Terminal 1-Lindbergh is accessible via the Tram Level (Level T). Signs direct passengers one level up to the taxi starter booth, where airport staff will assist passengers in obtaining a taxi.
At Terminal 2-Humphrey, taxi service is available at the Ground Transport Center, located on the ground level of the Purple Ramp directly across from the terminal building.
Fares average $39-$49. A $6.25 fare will be displayed on the Taxicab meter at the onset of your trip. This fee includes a $2.50 flag drop and a $3.75 airport access fee.
Uber and Lyft
Uber and Lyft are convenient and easy ways to navigate Minneapolis. Download the Uber or Lyft apps, sign up for an account, hail a ride using your smart phone, and start exploring the city.
Metro Transit’s Blue Line light rail trains run directly to downtown Minneapolis. There is a station at both Terminal 1 (Lindbergh) and Terminal 2 (Humphrey) for trains to downtown Minneapolis. Follow the signs in the airport.
Below are general directions to the Minneapolis Convention Center, located at 1301 Second Avenue, South, Minneapolis, MN 55403.
From the West (I-94)
- Take the 4th Street exit from I-94 and processed to 2nd Avenue South.
- (Do NOT turn right onto 2nd Avenue North.)
- Turn right on 2nd Avenue South and go 8 blocks to Convention Center.
From the West (I-394)
- Take Downtown exit (12th Street)
- Follow 12th Street South to 2nd Avenue South and turn right.
- The Convention Center is on your left
From the East (I-94)
- Take the 11th Street exit.
- Follow 11th Street South until you reach 2nd Avenue South
- Turn left onto 2nd Avenue South and cross 12th Street South.
- The Convention Center is on your left.
- The Underground Plaza Parking Ramp is on your right
From the South (I-35W)
- Follow downtown exit signs to the 11th Street exit
- Follow 11th Street to 2nd Avenue South
- Turn left on 2nd Avenue South and go 1 block to Convention Center
From the North
- Take I-35W to Hwy 280.
- Follow Hwy 280 to I-94 West.
- Follow I-94 to the 11th Street exit (NOT 11th Avenue exit)
- Follow 11th Street to 2nd Avenue South.
- Turn left on 2nd Avenue South and go 1 block to the Convention Center
Parking is easy to find at the Minneapolis Convention Center. Across the street is an underground ramp that is connected by a climate-controlled skyway system to the Minneapolis Convention Center and several downtown accommodations and attractions.
Within easy walking distance of the MCC there are a dozen parking ramps, most connected to the Minneapolis Convention Center by skyway.
Parking is available on Third Avenue directly east of the Minneapolis Convention Center. Fares range from $5.00 an hour to $20.00 for a 24 hour. Early Bird fares are $9.00 for arrival between 6:00-8:00 a.m. and departure by 5:00 p.m.
To reserve your parking spot at rates up to 50% off drive-up rates, search for the AIHce EXP dates on SpotHero, the nation’s leading parking reservation app.
One of Minneapolis’ most unique assets is the skyway system. Linking most of downtown with above-ground climate-controlled walkways, the system will get you from the Minneapolis Convention Center to most spots in downtown Minneapolis without ever stepping outside.
The Downtown Minneapolis Skyway App provides directions throughout the skyway. To download, visit:
Nice Ride, a city-wide bike sharing service starting at just $6 per ride, allows visitors to rent bicycles from 201 stations across Minneapolis.
Cyclists must download the nice ride app at https://www.niceridemn.com/how-it-works/app to find bikes, stations and hubs near you. Check out bikes for quick trips around the city 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The quick and convenient system allows users to return their bike rental to the nearest stations after their ride is complete.
Free bus rides are available on Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis and to and from the Minneapolis Convention Center (MCC). This gives you an easy way to go from one end of town to the other – for free! The service on selected routes between Grand Street and Washington Avenue is offered on buses marked “Free Ride.” Free Ride buses leave every 10 minutes on weekdays and every 15 to 30 minutes on weekends.
Other buses on Nicollet – and all within the Downtown Zone – charge 50¢. Buses on Nicollet stop every other block between 5th and 13th Streets.