PDC 2001: Women in IH Leadership Summit
Saturday, May 18
10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, Lakeshore ABC
CM Credit Hours: 4.5
The WIH Leadership Summit is sponsored by 3M.
Everyone has influence, and this is the place where leadership is crafted. The Women in IH Leadership Summit is a special inaugural event hosted by the AIHA WIH community. This all-day program will explore essential leadership skills, uncover your leadership potential, and aid in transitioning from a technical professional to management. You'll also gain a practical understanding of management issues, empowerment, ethics, and more – all in the context of today's evolving workplace environment. Find a unique blend of vision, inspiration, and practical skills that you can apply immediately even as you build upon them for your professional future.
Keynote: Transitioning from Technical Professional to Management
Presented by Nicole Vars McCullough, PhD, CIH
Making the change from technical professional to manager can be an exciting time in a woman’s career. A smooth, successful transition from peer to boss or individual contributor to manager can be challenging while offering the opportunity to create a more productive team. McCollough will share her own story and reflections on leadership from women across the IH profession and others. She will explore:
- The importance of authenticity in leadership, and its impact on diverse and inclusive workplaces
- Tips for new, and existing managers, to help you evolve your managerial and leadership styles
- Suggestions on how we can support each other in our development as managers and leaders
Put the Predictive Index® to Work for You
Presented by Chris Tischer
The Predictive Index Behavioral Assessment™ is a science-based framework that shines a light on people's core drives and offers actionable insight into employee needs, behaviors, motivations and development areas. In this highly interactive session, you will:
- Develop new insights into your management and leadership styles and understand how they impact your team
- Explore how to manage your team by recognizing their distinct motivators and drives
- Improve teamwork and enhance productivity at all levels by gaining valuable insight into each employee's decision-making, communication, and delegation style
The Intersection of Leadership and Equity in the Work Place
Presented by Ayodola Anise, MHS
This session will raise awareness about the bias that people can face at work and provide strategies on how to apply leadership techniques to increase equity in the work place. Anise will share her personal journey and explore how attendees can:
- Understand how discrimination and disparities show up in the workplace
- Discuss unconscious bias and how these biases can hinder the success of a team and a company
- Build key leadership strategies to elevate their career success and that of their colleagues
Emotional Intelligence-Key to Our Success
Presented by Lawrence D. Sloan, CAE
The decisions leaders make every day present countless opportunities to positively (or negatively) impact the work environment. An effective leader can recognize what the needs of his people are; an emotionally savvy and intelligent leader is able to build stronger teams by strategically utilizing the emotional diversity of their team members to benefit the team. Attendees will:
- Recognize and deal with one's own negative emotion
- Discover how to stay proactive, not reactive in the face of difficult situations
- Evaluate effective personal communication and handle difficult people
Career Success-As Defined by You!
Presented by Rianne Rome, MBA, SHRM-SCP
This stimulating session is your opportunity to examine your behaviors in business, discover habits that will propel you forward, and recognize your greatest strengths and weaknesses. Rome will also lead the group through a thought-provoking exercise that includes:
- Examining how you see yourself vs. how others see you
- Exploring behaviors that could be holding you back
- Challenge common myths and misconceptions
- Assess your strengths and weaknesses
- Create a personal story and planning for career success
Round Robin Takeaways and Inspiration
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Explain how Predictive Index applies to themselves and their teams
- Examine unconscious bias in their workplace and develop steps to overcome it
- Recognize how emotional intelligence works within their organization
- Develop a personal story that will elevate their career pathway and personal objectives
Participants should have knowledge or experience working within teams as a participant or a position of leadership.
Participants will receive some personalized evaluations of their Predictive Index and links/articles to additional tools to facilitate personal growth in mentoring and leadership opportunities.
Transfer of Knowledge